Sunday, January 31, 2010

the girls

So...these are the girls. At least, that's what toby calls them. Finn stares at them and smiles every time. Could be the black and white that he loves so much, or maybe it's his beautiful auntie shannon in the middle that makes him grin. I painted this one right before Finn was born....both to help me relax, and to switch up my living room mantle. It's actually from a photo of my sister shannon and her two best friends. Three absolute beauties! It really does not do them justice.

This type of painting is quite easy to do, if you have a photo that you think would suit. You start with a photo like this: (This may not be the exact photo that I started with, but I can't seem to find that one!)

Then you open it in Photoshop and apply a "stamp" filter (found under "Filters" and "Sketch")


Then I just used black acrylic paint to "copy" it onto the canvas. It's hard to get the proportions right, and I definitely didn't do too well, but you could always print out the adjusted image and trace it onto the canvas instead of drawing it freehand.

Linked up at Twice Remembered

5 comments:

  1. Love this! Reminded right away of this post:
    http://www.dana-made-it.com/2008/07/tutorial-presidents-day-shirts.html

    I need to make this one day, oh but I need an extra 5 hrs in the day already...you are very talented.

    Thanks for your comment yesterday, made me smile!
    Amy

    Hope you do not mind that I follow along with your blog?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fantastic idea! You really did an amazing job ~ it looks professional! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you painted that. It is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A sheepskin leather jacket is a luxurious and stylish outerwear option that offers exceptional warmth, comfort, and a unique aesthetic. sheepskin leather jacket

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments! I love reading every single one :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails